Auto Insurance Regulations in the State of Florida

Perhaps you are registering a vehicle for the first time in the state of Florida. Protect yourself against legal troubles, penalties and headaches by learning about the laws and regulations set forth by the state.

Even if you have moved to Florida and your car is sitting unused, if it has a Florida license plate on it, it must have insurance. Any person having a vehicle in the state of Florida for more than 90 days out of a calendar year must have minimum coverage requirements on their vehicle.

Minimum Coverage Requirements

You will need to purchase car insurance before that state of Florida will issue you a registration. As long as you have a Florida license plate, you are required to have at least $10,000 in personal injury protection, which is also known as “no fault” insurance.

You must also obtain a minimum of $10,000 in property damage liability on your insurance policy.

All Florida drivers must receive this insurance continuously, as long as they own their vehicle. In order for Florida to recognize your insurance as valid, you must select a company that has been licensed by the Florida Department of Financial Services.

State Penalties

Any vehicle with 4 wheels or more that is registered in the state of Florida requires proof of insurance, and there are penalties involved should you decide not to follow this rule.

The first thing that happens is that the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles will suspend your driver’s license. It will remain suspended, up to 3 years unless you obtain car insurance and provide proof of doing so.

If this should happen, be advised that the State of Florida will not offer you any type of restricted or temporary license for any reason whatsoever.

In addition to this, after you purchase car insurance and go to get your license back, you must pay a reinstatement fee. Expect this to cost you between $150 and $500, depending on how many times you have violated this requirement.

If cancelling your car insurance is unavoidable, there is one way to avoid getting a suspended license. Before the insurance gets cancelled, go to your Florida driver’s license office and surrender your vehicle’s license plate and registration.

If you are planning on moving to another state, you must keep your Florida insurance policy until your vehicle has been formally registered in another state.

Coverage Types

  • Florida no fault Insurance is required and it is designed to cover you in the event of an accident, whether it was your fault or not. It also covers your child and other household members who do not have a no fault policy on their own. This type of coverage also protects you while riding in someone else’s vehicle should you become hurt.
  • Also mandatory, property damage liability coverage pays for any damages to property that you or a family member incur in an accident that was the policy holder’s fault, up to the policy’s monetary limits.
  • Bodily injury liability coverage is designed to pay for serious, permanent injuries or even death, should you cause an automobile crash. This type of policy covers the cost of legal fees, should you get sued by the opposing party.

Attorney Representation

Should you experience the unfortunate circumstance of getting into an accident, be sure to cover all of your bases. An officer should always be called to the scene of the accident, in order for formal documentation to take place. Providing the officer with inaccurate or incomplete information may result in suspension of your license, tag and registration.

If you caused the crash, you become subject to lawsuits which may be initiated by the other driver or their insurance company.

The best way to protect yourself is to gather all documentation from the accident and visit a local attorney in south Florida, without haste. Our team of friendly and qualified attorneys knows all of your rights and will defend your case in a most vigilant manner.

Get The Help & Resources You Deserve

If you or your passenger has been injured in a motor vehicle accident, lost a loved one as a result of the accident, or if you would like more information about other serious injury cases or contact Glotzer & Kobren, P.A. auto accident attorneys at 561-361-8677.