Importance of Getting Uninsured Motorist Coverage in Florida

How Do You Solve a Problem Like Uninsured Motorists? 

According to a report released in 2021 by the Insurance Research Council, almost 1 in 4 Florida drivers operate their vehicle without insurance.  Florida has one of the highest rates of uninsured drivers in the U.S., with nearly a quarter of the driving population not carrying coverage.  What does this mean if you are involved in an accident with an uninsured motorist or a driver who fled the scene?  

Uninsured motorist (UM) coverage stands in for any driver who is uninsured or for an accident involving a hit-and-run driver.  The accident victim can make a claim with their insurer for the negligence of the other driver.  UM coverage not only applies to anyone in your car if you are involved in an accident with an uninsured or hit-and-run driver, but it covers you if you are involved in an accident in someone else’s vehicle or hit by a car as a pedestrian or bicyclist.

UM coverage – and underinsured motorist coverage (UIM) – is insurance that pays for medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering related to an accident caused by a driver who either didn’t have insurance; a driver who didn’t have enough insurance to cover all of your damages; or an unknown driver. 

UM/UIM coverage is an add-on to your auto insurance policy to help you recover the costs not covered by your personal injury protection (PIP) insurance.  UM coverage in Florida is not mandatory but we recommend that drivers carry UM/UIM coverage, in as high of an amount as can be afforded, in order to protect themselves against the possibility of being in an accident with an uninsured motorist or with a hit-and-run driver. 

If you are hurt as the result of another driver’s negligence or recklessness, whether or not there was actual contact with another vehicle or if the injured person can identify the other vehicle/driver, it is possible to make a claim through your own UM coverage. 

Case Example

Recently our law firm received a call from a former client who was forced off the road while on his bicycle by a vehicle that fled the scene.  Glotzer & Kobren, P.A. will be making a claim under our client’s UM coverage.  It is imperative to contact an auto accident lawyer immediately to examine your current auto insurance policy and help protect yourself against uninsured, underinsured or unknown Florida drivers.

For UM phantom vehicle cases, most policies require a police report be filled out.  This can be done in the days after an accident if it wasn’t done at the time of the accident.  The police will collect vital information, including contact information, evidence from the accident, and information about who caused the accident.  Failing to report the accident could prevent you from getting compensation either from your insurance company or from other parties that may have contributed to the accident.  Relatedly, the accident must be reported to the insurance company timely. 

In hit-and-run cases or those involving UM/UIM coverage, a personal injury lawyer can offer numerous advantages following an accident.  A car accident attorney can review your insurance policy, help you understand the compensation you deserve, and investigate the circumstances of the accident to identify potentially liable parties.  An attorney will also negotiate with your insurance company or litigate your case since insurers may make it difficult for you to get the full compensation you need for your injuries and other financial losses.  By partnering with a knowledgeable auto accident attorney, you can maximize your odds of a successful recovery from your injuries.  

Contact Us

Car accidents involving an uninsured or unknown driver can be stressful and overwhelming, which is why you should seek the assistance of a seasoned professional who is well-versed in Florida law.  At Glotzer & Kobren, our personal injury attorneys have fought on behalf of countless Floridians throughout our combined 60+ years in practice.  If you or a loved one has been involved in an accident and sustained injuries, get in touch with us as soon as possible to find out how we can help you.  There’s NO FEE unless WE WIN money for you.  Call 561-361-8677 to get the support, representation, and compensation you need.