Labor Day Weekend Travel Tips for Drivers
Labor Day weekend symbolically brings summer to an end, which means many people are heading out for one last summer getaway. Unfortunately, Labor Day weekend marks one of the deadliest periods for motorists on Florida roadways. As a result, it is important to follow these potentially life-saving safety tips. Keep this guidance at the forefront of your travel plans so that you and your loved ones stay safe.
- Preparation On Purpose. Your vehicle’s condition is a fundamental component of safe driving. Top off fluids, pump air in tires, replace malfunctioning light bulbs, check steering wheel and brakes, and clean windshields and mirrors. Pack an emergency kit so you have the supplies you need, including flares and a first aid kit.
- Click It or Ticket. Lack of seat belt use is a top cause of fatalities in crashes. Safety belts and car seats are one of the best ways you can give yourself and your children the greatest chance of survival if you are involved in an accident. Make wearing your seat belt a habit and ensure that children are in the right car seat type for their age and size.
- Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over. Holidays see a spike in impaired driving accidents and fatalities, and alcohol is not the only cause of impaired driving. Opioids, marijuana, and over-the-counter medicines may cause drowsiness, alter visual functions, and impact mental judgment and motor skills. Drunken driving is one of the deadliest yet also entirely preventable crimes. If you are planning to have alcoholic beverages or are impaired, have a designated driver or ride share service get you home safely. Additionally, driving while fatigued or drowsy can drastically impede reaction times. Get enough sleep to keep yourself well-rested and alert for the journey ahead.
- No Need for Speed. Speeding is a major factor in more than a quarter of all traffic fatalities. As you increase speed, you increase your risk of being severely injured in a car accident. Drive the speed limit or below it if conditions dictate, and be aware of inclement weather. Pay close attention to those walking and biking in order to keep all road users safe. Share the road responsibly this holiday weekend, and do not drive aggressively.
- Dangers of Distracted Driving. Too many car crashes involve distracted drivers who are texting, videoing, snapping photos, eating, putting on makeup or looking at their phones for navigation. While navigation apps are helpful for directions and for real-time traffic reports, let one of your passengers be in charge of the app. Drivers get distracted when they are multitasking by looking at their phone and trying to drive.
Should you or a loved one be unfortunate to get into an accident, call our auto accident attorneys who have more than 60 years of combined experience fighting for the rights of accident victims. There’s NO FEE unless WE WIN money for you. Our dedicated personal injury lawyers represent clients throughout Palm Beach County, Martin County, Broward County, and Miami-Dade County. Call 561-361-8677 for a free consultation. Wishing you a safe and enjoyable Labor Day weekend!